Wednesday, February 22

Foreign ground or foreign feet?



[Edit @ 23/2 02:05/]

Hope the concept of the photograph is as obvious to you as it is to me, though for some of you it’s not (won’t mention the names, but feel guilty). Anyway this is out of the concept though somehow related to the picture, it’s a text out of the book I just started to read and I found it amusing.

Once when a new son-in-law of the family wrote him a letter beginning with the usual salutations Sricharaneshu (“To the Gracious Feet”), he replied to him as follows:

“My dear Naren, I do not know what it means to call the feet gracious. Neither do you. So, that is nonsense! Further, you have petitioned my feet, leaving me out altogether. You ought to know that my feet are a part of me and should not be looked up on you as a separate entity so long as they keep stuck to my person. Then again, this particular limb is neither my hands nor ears, and therefore to offer anything to it is quite fatuous. Finally, it is possible an expression of devotion on your part to use the respectful plural, for some quadrupeds are indeed objects of your worship, nevertheless I consider it my duty to dispel your ignorance of my proper zoological identity.”


Chaturanga, Rabindranath Tagore


Behold for my new fetish…

[/End Edit]

10 comments:

weatherman said...

Hey! I really dig what you did with your page. Khub Shundor hoise. Like it a lot! Thinking about stealing it. :D

Amit

Aftab Iqbal said...

Hmm....we get to see only the feet:P Khair....since u say its art.....i guess it's good...I usally dun look at feet......ermm..or rather art...!

Aftab Iqbal said...

Okz...after alot of looking...All i gather is that ure feet are on snow..and it's cold..hehe

aragorn said...

i am very much interested to knw whether the feet are ur or not!!... and by the way, may be u heard first someone referin bangladesh to tigers... but its not the first time refer that... they are called the tigers for yrs!!... i thought u r a bangladeshi!!.. is it not??... and off course these tigers i.e "bangladesh_in_that_form" is as much rare as the Royal Bengal Tiger in the Sundarban... thanx for the comment..:)

Anonymous said...

i think i heard that story before... Tagore was really intelligent.. duh... i hope u'll post some more if u can find... btw..u have a nice blog here.

aragorn said...

hmm... i was just askin... the picture is nice and i thought those are feet of a model!!!..;)

Unknown said...

Aragorn,
Royal bengal tiger is not rare in Sundarbans. Infact based on the recent tiger count there more tigers in sundarbans then in the rest of the world.

Shakia said...

You hear that, Aragorn? :-P

Anonymous said...

lol at the text....lovely picture. ;)

aragorn said...

royal bengal tigers are extinct.. thats what i meant by rare... royal bengal tigers are supposed to be found in bengal(sundarban) ... isnt it?? for example once there was 500 tigers in sundarban, which is now 30 and the rest of the world has 5 tigers... doesnt it mean its rare now!!...;)