Friday, October 13

Friday the 13th

Qouting Wikipedia "A Friday occurring on the 13th day of any month is considered to be a day of bad luck in English and Portuguese-speaking cultures around the globe. Similar superstitions exist in some other traditions. In Greece and Spain, for example, Tuesday the 13th takes the same role. The fear of Friday the 13th is called paraskavedekatriaphobia "

I guess the bad luck did the opposite effect on the Asian Subcontinent, specially for our dear Bangladesh.

I wake up with a call from an auntie telling me that Dr. Md Yunus got Nobel prize. First thing I do is look up that info in the net. Realising it's true he got the Nobel prize, which made me jump of joy. Thinking Unlce will be coming to Sweden, and maybe I will be able to meet him after hearing so much about him from my parents. But then when I look closely I realise he got the Peace prize, by The Norwegian Nobel Committee and he'll be going to Norway instead. Which made me startle a bit, as I was expecting him to get the Nobel prize in Economics, in his field.
For me as a Swede I feel ashamed that The Swedish Nobel Committee missed a great opportunity to recognize a great man like him. But as a Bangali I feel very proud, and as a Chittagonian I feel even more excited. And the fact that I get to brag a bit about my parents knowing him, just lighten ups my day! (I sound like a kid!)

Then another triumph though an expected one, Bangladesh's cricket team wins over Zimbabwe with 101 runs. Joss!! Made me forget the West Indies game.. (chi chi chi, shame on you!)


3 comments:

Unknown said...

yeap the day was great for us. Btw, bangladesh still holds the second highest team score in champion's trophy while shahriar nafees holds the best individual score.
Chao

Anonymous said...

Hey, u'v not been writing very often lately.. wats keepin u busy all this time? Painting? singing? skool? a (or...erm.. a few) boyfriend(s)? or just bein a laizee-ars & doin wat u seem to do best- dreamin? hav a good time.

weatherman said...

tagged u